Ambitious RTS looking for consistent programmers!

Started by
3 comments, last by hplus0603 1 year ago

Hello everyone,

Me and a medium sized team are working on a classic RTS game and have currently started development. We are seeking more help as it is a showcase project with intent on seeking investments after. Everyone on the project puts in the time they can! We are looking for more programmers to join. You will be working in small teams together so communication is key. If this interests you feel free to contact me on here! People looking to build experience are welcome, with a great way to learn. That said the project is too complex for absolute beginners, so if you have no networking experience for instance then this project might not be a good fit for you.

We are using Unity for production. We have already started on the audio, level design, art, and programming. We use Git, and Discord and Trello for organization and file management.

The game is already in production and most ideas have been ironed out, but we are always open to everyone's thoughts. We use organization by having a single Lead Programmer and a single Project Manager/Game Designer. Everything will be on discord and we will keep updates available as often as possible so everyone is on task. This will give you experience working with a team and learning the game pipeline if that interests you.

The investment odds are good due to our agency, but money shouldnt be your main motivation for wanting to join. Your love for RTS should be the main motivator. Especially since money is never guaranteed in this industry (even though our odds of that are a lot bigger than usual its still a revshare based project until then).

Everyone will have opportunities to learn/try new things to progress your journey in the Game dev space. The only thing we ask in return is you actually spending at least 5 hours per week on this. More is always better of course, but with less than 5 hours per week it is unlikely benefit either you or the project. If you would like more information feel free to DM me. I look forward to hearing from you!

WIP clip: https://youtu.be/EDDE9cxsfBs

Game developer

Advertisement

How are you dealing with networking, simulation, and path finding?

These are traditionally the worst parts of RTS-es, and Unity doesn't have strong support for these things.

enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };

A* and photon fusion ^^

Game developer

Those aren't particularly good answers for an RTS.

RTS games typically end up with very specific needs very deep in the simulation and networking stack, to actually work well. Not designing with tools that address those needs up front, will inevitably lead to project failure. In my opinion, it's even more important to get the core of an RTS right first, than it is to get the core of, say, an MMORPG right.

Also, Unity is not that great at consistent simulation, which means you'll end up sending a lot more corrections, or open yourself up for a lot more cheating, than RTS-es typically want.

If you keep to just a dozen units per side, and treat it more as an FPS from the network point of view, maybe it'll be OK, though. If that's the extent of your goal, then good luck!

enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement