Game design interview question (your thoughts)

Started by
7 comments, last by Programmer71 1 year, 7 months ago

A common game design interview question is, “what's a game you like and what can you improve in its systems?”. Let's talk about the monster hunter franchise and what do you think will improve it.

Advertisement

You start.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

I think it's already a great franchise. Great gameplay loop. The earlier games felt a little rigid, but I think they fixed it with the inclusion of destructible environment and turf wars which is very cool since you can pull off very interesting interactions. I think maybe they can improve the turf wars by letting the monsters go at each other rather than a premade animation playing. or maybe like other monster interaction besides turf war. They can explore more the idea of the monster hunting/eating/drinking.

And why do you like that game? How does it grab you, connect with you more than other games?

(Or is it just that you have an interview coming up with Capcom and this is your favorite Capcom game?)

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

I like a lot of games. I don't have any interview upcoming for any job. It just came up to my mind and made me want to talk about the game design of Monster hunter.

I think you should try to flesh out your answer a bit more, to the best of your ability, and then read this book: Designing Games by Tynan Sylvester (goodreads.com)

Then, revisit your question and try to answer it again and see what changed between your current answer and your new answer. I think it would greatly change your outlook and approach to game design.

Without details, there are too many cases of “figure out what the designer wanted”. Bosses with “this one is slashing, this one is piercing”, levels with “the designer must have been thinking about such-and-such”. There are many games where picking up certain elements are beneficial, and there are puzzle games where you need to solve the puzzle to move on, but doing them well is difficult. There must be a balance between where you can solve the puzzle or figure out the detail and feel like you have grown by solving it, versus where doing it feels like you're trying to guess what the designer did and don't feel the same emotional reward.

Just in case this does get used for interviews (by you or someone else prepping for the job) I won't be articulating specific cases, but there are plenty of them.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement