Help wanted!

Started by
2 comments, last by xDanix 3 years, 4 months ago

Hey guys. Merry xmas to you all. non-english speaker here.. i'll try to make myself clear the best i can.

What a journey! for the last couple of days ive been experimenting with the universal render pipeline and so far, nothing works! hehe

:mad:

I have to clarify that im not a programmer, just an artist: I have a friend who takes care of the programmatic part of things and I just do the sprites, and visual things and such.

It all started a few weeks ago when i saw this tutorial:

on how to make a 2d water reflection.. I wanted to recreate that in my project but its been all downhill from there.

First of all the "sprite unlit graph" thingy shows no preview, theres a blank space when it should be.. I followed the tutorial step by step anyways, created a sample texture 2d node, connected it to color in the master, made a texture 2d property and put the texture I made, always with no preview.. and when creating the material i get .. blank.. nothing.

I dont know if its relevant but the texture's been taken from a camera, as in the tutorial.

I figured it may be because of the different versions? im running my project on a 2020.x and have a newer version of the universal RP than the ones used in the tutorial. I tried working on the same version, created a new project to try with matching versions, and after downloading the universal RP and trying to do "create>rendering>universal render pipeline>pipeline asset (forward renderer)" the "rendering" submenu is missing from the main dropdown menu?? what the h%ll? god, are you there? its christmas.. give me a break for your son's sake!

I gave the "sprite lit graph" a go after that and the preview is visible, a brief moment of happiness.. later shattered when i tried to assign the final material to the square sprite.... the god d#mned square remains white! then i saw the unity demonstration videos of the universal RP and noticed the dude was using a quad, not a square, so i went with that and it worked!............ but when i try to place it in my scene theres no sorting layer or anything like that.. and the quad is always at the bottom, hidden behind all the other spritesssssss.... I'm going nuts.. just want to be happy with my little game with its little reflection in the littlest of waters... Any ideas would be much appreciated.....

again merry xmas and happy new year to you all!

Advertisement

xDanix said:
when i tried to assign the final material to the square sprite.... the god d#mned square remains white! then i saw the unity demonstration videos of the universal RP and noticed the dude was using a quad, not a square, so i went with that and it worked!............ but when i try to place it in my scene theres no sorting layer or anything like that.. and the quad is always at the bottom, hidden behind all the other spritesssssss.... I'm going nuts.. just want to be happy with my little game with its little reflection in the littlest of waters... Any ideas would be much appreciated.....

Is this the question you're asking? Is this the help you wanted? The phrase “Help wanted” usually means you want to hire someone. And we don't allow recruiting for pay here on this site.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

@Tom Sloper sorry about that.. didnt read the rules before posting.. I just described my experience following the tutorial i linked to, dont want to hire anyone.. there is a bunch of questions in there:

1) why does the "sprite unlit graph" shader shows no preview? the “sprite lit graph” does.. (4:44 mark in the tutorial vid) I guess i could rephrase this as “is anyone getting the same issue when using the sprite unlit graph?”
2) why when I assign the material I made to a sprite (a white square sprite) it remains a as a white square? this worked with a quad, but in the tutorial they use a square.. (5:41 mark in the tutorial vid)
3) do quad objects have a “sorting layer” or can i put them in front of sprites? because i decided to go on with the quad instead of the square, but it shows up at the bottom, hidden behind the sprites.
my apologies if I dont handle the lingo properly, im not to well versed in the game development world. I know its a bit too much to expect the person to read this to watch a full tutorial to know what im talking about, I hope that whoever wants, and has the time for it, can use the time marks i provided above. thanksss

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement