[RevShare] Team needed for Historical-Fantasy Japanese Adventure Game

Started by
4 comments, last by SamHunny 3 years, 8 months ago
Advertisement

Heyo! My name is Sam (nice to meet you) and I am seeking passionate teammates (veteran or inexperienced) who love story-driven games and are inspired by Japanese culture/history to fill multiple creative and supportive roles. We are using Unity 2019 and the Fungus Plugin.

Sekishu no Koe is a choice-based game set in a fantasy version of the late Kamakura era. The plot follows three heroes—a zen monk, a ronin warrior, and a samurai archer—as they unravel a dangerous mystery that challenges them physically, mentally, and spiritually. It's up to fate whether they can trust each other enough to confront the greatest threat the land has ever known.

Alpha ver. 1.05 (Text Only) is available here: https://samhunny.itch.io/sekishu-no-koe

Sekishu no Koe, at launch, will feature 2D character sprites animated in a detailed 3D environment in time with the story and voice lines. Players influence the characters and story by making choices that will have immediate and long term consequences.

Requirements:

• Must be 18+ years old.
  • Must have some experience with Unity 3D.
  • Must have a Discord account.
  • Must be available for a meeting once per week.

Bonus Points:

• Knowledge of Japanese history (especially the Muromachi period).
  • Experience with the Fungus Plugin.

This is a long term project but the game’s 7 chapters will be released episodically. Team members will sign a contract guaranteeing in-game credit and net revenue percentage (starting at 8%). Expected hours vary per role but are negotiable.

ABOUT ME

I have been the lead game designer, narrative writer, and creative director for Sekishu since 2018 but filled multiple areas using my various skills: Concept art, vector graphics, 3D modeling, C#, and video compositing, just to name a few. My role is to support each individual team member while leading the entire team toward a cohesive creative vision and ensuring our efforts are justly rewarded.

ROLES

2D Character Artist

The Character Artist will breathe life into the actor of Sekishu no Koe, giving the characters their distinct visual personality. By merging history with fantasy, you can re-interpret the medieval world of Japan in new ways. You will:

• Offer concept art and outfit designs for characters, NPCs, and monsters.
  • Collaborate with the entire team on storyboards for scenes.
  • Communicate with writers to reinforce the visual storytelling of the game.
  • Create final rendered art of characters and monsters in various poses from multiple angles.

Animation experience is preferred but not required.

3D Environment Artist

As the Environment Artist, you control the world. Your sets are inspired by historic locations and decorated with accurate Japanese props in a way that conveys a natural existence, even if supernatural. You will:

• Design concept art of indoor/outdoor scenes to refer with the writers and Character Artist.
  • Build concepts into 3D props, buildings, foliage, and terrain used to construct natural sets.
  • Create monochromatic textures and bump maps for textile surfaces.
  • Collaborate with writers and sound designers to enhance the scene’s mood.

Unity Technical/VFX Artist

Since Sekishu no Koe has a unique visual style, it relies on the creativity and knowledge of the Technical Artist to propel the experience to a whole new level. While technically focused on asset implementation, you are also the final artistic polish that will give the world its heart.You will:

• Create custom ink-like Unity 3D shaders inspired by sumi-e (ink wash) paintings.
  • Build custom light sources, particle emitters, and camera features to heighten the aesthetic of a scene.
  • Collaborate with other artists on asset management and oversee rendering and game performance.

Screenwriter

This is a specialized writing role: Writing samples must feature examples of dialogue.

The essence of Sekishu no Koe is its unique story inspired by epic legends told through the exposition of its characters and it’s up to you to make those conversations meaningful. You will:

• Collaborate with the narrative writer (me) in organizing conversations/lines within scenes and then scenes within chapters.
  • Offer drafts, edits, and critiques on character dialogue to ensure an organic but concise flow.
  • Quality control spoken lines to ensure each character’s unique voice is consistent and distinct throughout the story.
  • Proof-read final drafts for grammatical/continuity errors.
  • (Optional) Direct or assist voice recording sessions.

Japanese History and Culture Consultant

The backbone of Sekishu no Koe is the era and culture in which it takes place, which is why we want to be careful when taking creative liberties. As someone knowledgeable in relevant Japanese history, you will:

• Assist artists in collecting accurate reference images and historical descriptions of Kamakura-era Japan.
  • Proof-check designs, models, storyboards, and scripts for blatant cultural and historical inaccuracies.
  • Collaborate with artists when taking creative liberties and provide constructive feedback.

Community Manager

A game is worthless without its audience, so it is the duty of the Community Manager to help our players find Sekishu no Koe and be the liaison between the team and the community. You will:

• Engage with fans using Sekishu no Koe’s social media accounts and foster a positive community in the Discord channel.
  • Maintain a regular schedule of updates, community events, and Patreon reward releases.
  • Collaborate with the whole team in creating shareable content to post on online accounts.
  • Seek advertisement opportunities with influencers, journalists, and communities.
  • Respond to inquiries and offers via Sekishu no Koe’s email.

Project Consultant

Having different perspectives is always helpful, so we welcome anyone of any area of expertise interested in the project to apply as a consultant.

• You must be available at least twice per month to volunteer skills, offer feedback, or answer questions.
  • You are not barred from contributing to the game’s development if you so choose.
  • You are not required to participate in regular meetings or events.

HOW TO APPLY

Now that you have a clear idea of what I'm going for, you can see what we could succeed by committing to this long-term project together. Sekishu no Koe's journey will not be easy—but no great task is.

If you really like the project but your services are paid only, feel free to contact me. Maybe we can work something out.

To apply, please email samhunnydev@gmail.com with the following items:

• Your preferred name.
  • The role(s) for which you are applying.
  • A brief overview of your experience with the role(s)'s responsibilities.
  • Why you want to join the team and what you hope to gain from Sekishu no Koe.
  • Links to relevant portfolios or past work/accomplishments.
  • Cover letters are appreciated (but not required).

Want to know more about the project? Sekishu no Koe's progress reports are publicly available on our Patreon (https://www.patreon.com/SamHunny). You can also join our community Discord (https://discord.gg/vdTaW7w). For any other questions or concerns, feel free to comment or contact me directly.

Thanks so much,

~SamHunny

I learn more so that I can ask better questions.

Hi, interesting proposal. Since I'm working on many outdoor projects, I wanted to wish you good luck!

None

@ThomasJoseph Thank you, I appreciate it ^_^

I learn more so that I can ask better questions.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement