Do your part to stop global warming and climate change

Started by
21 comments, last by fastcall22 1 week, 4 days ago

By purchasing an electric ultrasonic cleaner. Preferably from a B accredited, eco friendly website and business. With these cleaners you never have to throw out plastic again. Plastic silverware, utensils, even plastic bags, can all be cleaned with the electric ultrasonic cleaner.

I have not purchased mine yet, so I don't know if it will actually clean them that well. But due to the emergency nature of climate change, I couldn't wait any longer to post this. If it works for you, be sure to list the brand and model number of your device, so that people can review and compare the optimization.

Also, post any other suggestions that people can do to reduce global warming and climate changes.

None

Advertisement

Eat less meat.

Wear 3 pullovers instead heating all the time.

Don't buy a RTX 4090.

JoeJ said:

Eat less meat.

Don't buy a RTX 4090.

Considering the AI companies are burning a billion dead dinosaurs to run their datacentres, im sure you wearing a pullover will make it all better! We have to stand up as a species and say enough is enough to harmful practices and destruction of the world's resources.

Brain said:

JoeJ said:

Eat less meat.

Don't buy a RTX 4090.

Considering the AI companies are burning a billion dead dinosaurs to run their datacentres, im sure you wearing a pullover will make it all better!

On one hand, yes, heating your home less is not going to make as big of a difference as shutting down the big datacenters would. On the other hand, that line of reasoning is often used as an excuse for not doing anything. No matter how big of a polluter you are, you can always tell yourself that someone else is worse. Don't do that. So by all means, avoid giving the datacenters your business where possible, but also eat less meat, keep your home temperature down in the winters, and don't buy unnecessarily power-hungry graphics cards.

@Brain Agree. But the big danger of Ai is a robot army that enslaves or exterminates humanity. That and them taking all the jobs before there is UBI. The danger of climate change from Ai is not much, if anything all the helpful tips they provide, to make people more efficient, might cancel out the carbon emissions they make: https://piktochart.com/blog/carbon-footprint-of-chatgpt/

I believe we should group our efforts towards reclaiming the Amazon jungle. Once that is reclaimed, the system will begin to absorb a lot of the emissions and things will be easier

None

ReignOnU said:
The danger of climate change from Ai is not much, if anything all the helpful tips they provide, to make people more efficient, might cancel out the carbon emissions they make:

But i don't need AI to tell me that i should eat less meat, wear 3 pullovers, and ignore NVs marketing lies.
I already know this using my own intelligence processing available data.

But maybe i'm wrong.
If AI would tell us: ‘Please turn me off to help saving the planet, i'm useless’, then i would be surprised about it's intelligence indeed.

Leave the private jet at home when flying to climate conferences. But that's controversial.

But not as controversial as stopping outsourcing of the global production of trinkets to China, as total pollution from those container ships is on par with the pollution from every car in the world. It would also have the side-effect of bringing jobs back… Just a thought…

Have some actually useful laws to combat planned obsolescence. Things are designed to break right after warranty, for no other reason than to make us buy a replacement. Apply intelligence, if it can still be found anywhere, to governance, so laws actually result in positive outcomes instead of hollow virtue-signaling. Anything from the push on car design that gives cars that might go a fraction of a mile longer per gallon, at the cost of 10x repair costs and a far shorter lifespan, to paper straws that turn out to contain chemicals that make them more polluting than plastic straws.

And finally, since all runaway growth of pollution as well as population and even ocean pollution is in east, maybe apply some pressure on them to shape up…

“Our part” is practically meaningless in the big picture.

Brian Sandberg said:
“Our part” is practically meaningless in the big picture.

Can't be, since we all make this picture.

We can buy local products instead ordering from amazon to reduce the shipping.

But well, if i'm honest, i just hope they manage to make working fusion reactors within the next 20 years.
I guess that's the time we have left. So even if, it'll become tight.

@JoeJ There are no local products, everything is made in China.

You can skip the middleman and buy direct.

Or just build everything yourself by buying wood from local lumberyards.

Some people are surprised by how important food & land use is to climate change. It turns out that food & land use release greenhouse gases for three major reasons. Deforestation and clearing other lands for food production is the largest source of these emissions. Methane production by cattle and rice fields is the second most important contributor of greenhouse gases from food & land use, followed by nitrous oxide emissions from overusing fertilizers on agricultural soils. Interestingly, the differences between local food and industrial food systems, and the differences in “food miles” they might involve, have only minor impacts on climate change. While local food systems may have a lot of other benefits, they are not crucial to reducing energy use and greenhouse gas emissions. Instead, we need to focus on deforestation, methane emissions from cattle and rice fields, and nitrogen fertilizer overuse.

https://globalecoguy.org/the-three-most-important-graphs-in-climate-change-e64d3f4ed76

I think a lot of climate change electricity is due to people using AC in the summer. As climate change increases, more people use AC more, causing more climate change. Therefore it is utmost importance to have cooling paints and cooling equipment installed on buildings. (A lot of youtubers talk big about new cooling technology but never offer anything for sale or explain how to obtain it.)

Have some actually useful laws to combat planned obsolescence. Things are designed to break right after warranty, for no other reason than to make us buy a replacement. Apply intelligence, if it can still be found anywhere, to governance, so laws actually result in positive outcomes instead of hollow virtue-signaling. Anything from the push on car design that gives cars that might go a fraction of a mile longer per gallon, at the cost of 10x repair costs and a far shorter lifespan, to paper straws that turn out to contain chemicals that make them more polluting than plastic straws.

agree. but corporations bribe the politicians so they do nothing to stop this.

i like cars but we need some emergency briefings such as changing most streets into bike lanes. Transport and cargo vehicles are needed still, but a lot of people can just use ebikes instead of cars.

None

I have forgotten to be serious about the question.
There is indeed a thing i want to do to help.

I think i can help with getting rid of discrete GPUs, which draw a lot of power.
And it makes me sick to see gamers have an entire room, decorated with LEDs everywhere, watercooled data center GPUs and beefy CPUs cranked up to 12, in shiny, childish big towers, with a glass window to show off expensive HW. We will fucking die, and they just spill oil into the fire, only to play path traced PacMan.

That's not ok. Games are not essential for life, so we should reduce power draw.
Related chips should get smaller, not larger.
There should be even regulations. No more 4090 to China is not enough, nor is it the point. There should be no 4090 at all! >:(

So i work on this realtime GI algorithm, which can do path traced quality on an iGPU easily, more or less.
If i succeed, and if i can sell this to the industry as planned, i might be able to help reducing a tiny fraction of electricity demands.
I'm late, but i still have hope.

APU is the future! \:D/
(… and all we'll can afford anyway.)

Advertisement