Choice of Engine

Started by
1 comment, last by Alberth 7 months, 3 weeks ago

Hello I have been thinking about trying to get into game design as I have an idea for a game but am unsure which engine I should go with for the idea.

to keep it short my idea was a 2d mecha open world rpg game similar to Battle Brothers or Cataclysm Dark Days Ahead, but I don't know if certain engines or such would be better used for this or if any engine would be ok to learn for trying to make something like this.

Advertisement

Please keep “game design” (ie what is the user doing in the game, and how to make the game interesting for them) separate from “game programming” (ie how to realize the game design into a playable form on a computer).

The latter also has a design usually in terms of classes and interface, but that is program design rather than game design.

As for your question, for a beginner pretty much any engine will work. Your limits are more likely about grasping how to program a game at this stage. As for choice of engine, pick one (or more), and have a test-drive, build a really small something. You learn about the engine, you get some experience, and you find out about if you like the ideas of the picked engine.

Then select the engine you like, and try a **slightly** bigger game. Many beginners make the mistake of trying to move too fast to their final goal, avoid it and have fun while wandering with small steps in your journey on programming.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement