How strong of a connection does liking to make games vs that I might like it as a career, have?

Started by
6 comments, last by GeneralJist 1 year, 6 months ago

An extra question on top of that title:
What about game designer?

Hey,

I've recently been questioning if I really want to get into game design and/or game programming as a career. I've recently questioned this because of how difficult many things have become to learn(Coding and game design stuff) and I'm questioning if I really got what it takes to be a game designer. Now, I still love making games on my PC (Although how bad they are at the moment lol), it's just been beating me down since I've been making slow progress on learning and I'm lost on what to do.

Now before y'all (potentially) say this isn't for me based on that defeatist paragraph, let me go deeper into why I love making games. Since I've began to seriously pursue game design and stuff I've made 2 decently sized games(More than ~15 mins of gameplay), one a board game and one a video game. On top of that I've made a few small games. Sometimes times got tough during making them but I pulled through and liked what my games became. Even now when things are as tough as ever and I'm lost on how to improve I'm still going forward and making my lil farming game.

I guess as of late I'm just feeling more lost and things have become more difficult than before.

What's y'alls experience with this kinda stuff?

None

Advertisement

@gamechfo As usual, your questions are all over the place. Yes, making games is hard. Yes, learning is hard. I recall from one of your other posts that you're 18. You haven't yet gotten a college/uni degree. 18 is also an age where not everybody has necessarily chosen or realized their life path. If you want a career that's easy, apply for jobs that don't require a degree. There will still be learning to do, and there will still be difficulties.

You can go for a fun career (that requires learned skills, and a degree) or you can go for an easy career (that'll still have unexpected requirements to be mastered).

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Nothing worth it is ever easy.

Your explanation as to why you want to make games doesn't actually explain your motivations.

Did deep, reflect on your life, who you are, your skills, your experience your education.

Ask yourself “why”

“Why me?” Why now? “Why this genre of games”?

Sounds like your working alone? maybe find a like minded team?

Project out 1 year? 3 years? 5 years?

What does success look like to you?

Where are you in life? Who are you then and now?

Answering to us is less important than reflecting on your own.

oh, and may be a “Vision board” would help?

Googled, and here:

https://www.oprahdaily.com/life/a29959841/how-to-make-a-vision-board/

Our company homepage:

https://honorgames.co/

My New Book!:

https://booklocker.com/books/13011.html

@GeneralJist I spent a bit thinking about this and your questions, only a bit so far though, still gotta think about this more. But it has been helpful.

GeneralJist said:
Sounds like your working alone? maybe find a like minded team?

Yeah, I've always worked alone to this point. It's gone good, I've managed to do designing, programing , and do some simple art and music all alone, but I don't think that's a good path to keep going down. I think it is about time I went and found a team to work with. I do think it'll be hard to find a place that'll want a beginner game designer who can only program basic stuff in GML though lol.

GeneralJist said:
oh, and may be a “Vision board” would help?

Never heard of that, but it looks kinda cool. Might try making one.

I'll keep the answers to the other questions to myself unless you'd feel it'd be useful to helpin' me out

None

GeneralJist said: oh, and may be a “Vision board” would help?

gamechfo said: Never heard of that, but it looks kinda cool. Might try making one.

They're also called “mood boards." Do it. Two hours should get you a workable board.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

@Tom Sloper I needed to hear that, thanks. It put me into questioning what I wanna do and if game design is that, if I'm right for it, if i can do it, etc. I don't have the answer to it yet, but I think I'm closer to it.

I'm cringing at this post now, was kinda ranty and stuff

Tom Sloper said:
As usual, your questions are all over the place.

Sorry about that, when I'm writing I'm just writing what is on my mind and it usually does have bad structure.

None

So there are many ways into this industry, and there are many levels.

But you can specialize in almost any creative field you like.

or,

you can become a generalist of some kind.

gamechfo said:
I'll keep the answers to the other questions to myself unless you'd feel it'd be useful to helpin' me out

That's fine,

As long as you know the answers it will work out in the end.

Our company homepage:

https://honorgames.co/

My New Book!:

https://booklocker.com/books/13011.html

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement