How's Rust language today for you guys?

Started by
11 comments, last by Programmer71 1 year, 6 months ago

As the title said, how's Rust language today in 2022 for you, both general and gamedev programming? Considering it's been years since it has been talked about here.

Advertisement

Programming in Rust feels like trying to write English texts without using the letter ‘e’. It's possible, and it makes me feel really clever when I manage to do it, but it's not exactly good for productivity.

I want to get to the language but there are a few things that keeps drawing me back.

First one I agree with the above reply.

Second, the language is still not first-class development in terms of API access. Only Windows that I think officially has it, and that is still not version 1.0. In Android there are a lot of manual and out-of-the-box things to do just to get the library in. For example I have to use rust-android-gradle from mozilla just to push the library in. If I want access to NDK, I have to yet use other unofficial library, for example android-ndk-rs that is 1 - 2 versions late; which is OK, but not really? because it's unofficial. Vulkan, for example, is recommended to use ash. Is it official? No, even though the Khronos official says to use that because the owner of ash is somehow part of the group now in Discord talk? I forgot I may want to check again.
C++ is just first-class in almost everywhere, at least user-level apps. It even get MetalCPP now for iOS/macOS development. C++ also recommended over Android's AAudio, over a library called Oboe, using Modern C++. Google also now introduces a GameActivity, under JetPack (androidx library) that also somehow comes with a modern C++ glue with it, and forces me to dynamically link the somewhat STL library that is added to my own APK if I ever want to use that (which is recommended by Google, say over NativeActivity).

Third, somehow this language prefers to be not just being technical, but also being aware over social issues all over the world, which I assume it means US-centric, or at best, western-centric (political?). I don't live in the US, and this can skeptically be a problem for me in a long term. I really wish this language is just like math language, but it doesn't seem to represent itself as neutral as math.

for me, rust looks like just a C clone wiethout the low-levelish parts, i dont see why i would use rust instead of C or even javascript to be honest

@Geri Then you probably haven't taken a very close look and haven't used Rust at all, because in practice Rust is nothing like C. The reference borrowing rules and the pervasive use of move semantics mean that idioms that are natural and “safe” in C simply won't compile in Rust. In that sense, Rust has more in common with pure functional programming languages like Haskell than with C.

a light breeze said:

@Geri Then you probably haven't taken a very close look and haven't used Rust at all

Where did i said i did?

@Geri I didn't say you did, but when somebody asks for experiences and you give an uninformed opinion instead, then it's worth pointing out that your opinion is clearly not based on experience.

a light breeze said:

@Geri I didn't say you did, but when somebody asks for experiences and you give an uninformed opinion instead, then it's worth pointing out that your opinion is clearly not based on experience.

I dont think if someone is truely dedicated to a language would ask such a question about it. I am clearly interpreting his question as he is collecting opinions and views on the language. This is the case, and you can tell it from his second comment.

I'm concerned about the ecosystem, mostly. I'm still treating it as a hobby language, at the moment, nor I am interested to be part of building the ecosystem (making/involved in ports and whatever), and so I am still less interested to develop something serious on where I prefer Rust rather than C/C++ (or even JavaScript). Heard the recent news over it merges into Linux 6.1 so maybe I started to ask in this forum, on how it's going. I kinda remember Rust has been talked about in here way before it was popular,

@mychii Rust, Python, etc, that do garbage collection, dynamic typing, etc., are not any good at all and are really just scripting languages.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement