Play No Man’s Sky?

Started by
21 comments, last by dragonalumni 1 year, 7 months ago

I splurged and bought No Man’s Sky for Nintendo Switch. I’m having trouble getting started. Did anyone play this game?

Advertisement

Yeah, I have played it about 150 hours roughly since release. I like the concept enough to keep playing occasionally, but the game's execution is inherently flawed. This game has some of the worst game design I've ever seen. You can tell they spent all their time on the procedural tech, then tacked on a shell of a game at the last minute. Even today, the newer features are very half-baked. There are a variety of things that are still broken or unimplemented 6? years later. One simple example is a planetary map - still nowhere to be seen. I get bored playing this game for 20 minutes.

To get started, you want to look for sodium (yellow plants) at first to charge your suit to keep from dying. Then, look around for things to repair your ship. Usually you can find almost anything you need within a few hundred meters. As soon as possible, start making ion batteries (cobalt in caves) and life-support gel. Once you get to a space station, load up on 50+ of these, they are cheap and will sustain you for the entire game. Once you build the terrain manipulator, you can dig caves to hide from weather and travel underground.

Thank you! I’ll give that a shot!

Played it after launch. There was an exploit bug allowing to generate some resource out of nothing, which then could be traded for other resources. Not sure if this still works, but it helped me, as i do not really like survival mechanics.

I wish modern games would still have cheat codes. RPGs are mostly only playable for me using cheats. Otherwise it's just tedious. I prefer to skip the work and focus just on the fun. ; )

No doubt JoeJ… generally, there are cheats on the PC, but not on Switch. I love god mode. Speaking of: there is a Creative Mode in No Man’s Sky for Switch, which is like god mode. There are like 6 different difficulties to choose from. This is the game at launch + 6 years of add-ons. I’m thinking of just playing Breath of the Wild instead, to prepare for the next Zelda in early 2023. Lol

Also, in No Man’s Sky and Breath of the Wild, they give temperature in Fahrenheit, and there is no option to change it to metric (Celsius) as far as I know. Like, water freezes at 0 and boils at 100. Does this make sense to most people?

taby said:
generally, there are cheats on the PC

Not anymore. If you want cheats, you have to install suspicious 3rd party hacks.

You can try the Konami code on console. Does not work? That's what you get on PC too, because the games are the same.

Not sure if GTA5 still had cheat codes. But in former GTAs they were the most fun from the whole game.
Using noclip in Quake engine games was cool too. It motivated me to think about how the tech works, so it was kinda educational.
Bethesda RPGs also had cool console commands. If you're stuck because game is buggy, console commands might allow to fix the problem.

So i request to bring cheats back, guys! Although it's not really a big issue or cause of disappointment if not. Tbh, my games never had cheats either ; )

NMS is quite cool after you have a spaceship so you can travel from planet to planet. The dream of a procedural universe lives in all of us i guess, and this game quite nails it.
After i saw many planets and started to notice repetive patterns, the procedural mystery lost its magic, and the game itself felt boring.
But i played it much longer than the average AAA masterpiece, just missed all the updates which came later.

Btw, i'd like to share my mind about the (hidden) reason why NMS caused disappointment on release.

Idk, what people expected. Probably nobody knew what it would be, but everybody was inspired from the awesome trailer. So there was no expectation at all, just a vision.

And then the game lacked the vibes of the trailer. Why?

I tell you: It was the music. The trailer had brilliant music, essential for the atmosphere of it.
But the game did not use this music at all. So it only was half of the vision the trailer created. Terrible mistake.

If i'm right, i wonder why nobody else noticed this. Even game journalists, which pretend to know everything about games, had no clue. They did just join the general opinion of the game being bad. But their given reasons, e.g. no multiplayer as promised, were bad reasons and not accurate imo.
If the devs failed on the game at all, then the journalists failed even harder on criticizing it.

… amateurs everywhere… ;D

JoeJ said:
I tell you: It was the music. The trailer had brilliant music, essential for the atmosphere of it. But the game did not use this music at all. So it only was half of the vision the trailer created. Terrible mistake.

Weird, I have never actually seen any trailers. I think the music is one of the few things the game gets right. It's very well done (speaking as a musician). It's somewhat procedural/dynamic, which keeps it from getting stale. It's one of the better video game soundtracks I've heard in recent memory.

I got Sennheiser headphones as a gift like 15 years ago, and they still work great. One of the things that I notice, of course, is the sound effects and music in the Switch games.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement