How do I implement Arcade Drift using a physics engine?

Started by
2 comments, last by LorenzoGatti 2 years, 1 month ago

I am implementing a racing game using Bullet Physcis Engine.

As one of the key features, I'm trying to implement drift like the one implemented in Car X Drift Online, but I can't find a simple way to implement it.

The first way we tried was to implement it by reducing the friction of the rear wheels, similar to a real drift, which quickly caused the player to lose grip and out of control of the vehicle.

What I want to do is to create a state in which the drift button is pressed to keep the vehicle forward vector and the linear speed direction off, while not losing the grip.

To achieve this, we have also attempted to maintain a sliding condition by giving the vehicle a Torque before losing the Grip, but we have not achieved good results.

Are there any Tutorials or implementation examples related to this?

Advertisement

Hmm… Could you perhaps switch to a drift-specific character-controller while drifting, one that is built specifically for the purpose, and without the features of the main controller that might be preventing drift? I'm imagining something that uses a quite-simplified movement-model, and that “fakes” the rotation of the vehicle.

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

My Twitter Account: @EbornIan

I'd be wary of faking elements of a physical simulation.

What would a “drift button” do in an actual car in order to lose grip? Disabling antiskid automation, locking the differential, changing the balance of braking or 4WD transmission between front and rear wheels, something else? Directly "reducing the friction of the rear wheels" doesn't seem reasonable. “Giving the vehicle a Torque before losing the Grip” is even less reasonable, since steering before losing grip should already be simulated well without hacks.

Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement