I have created a complete architecture model in 3DS MAX instead of importing each model in Unity game engine and setting it there?

Started by
6 comments, last by Haziq 3 years ago

Hey, I have created a complete model in 3DS MAX which is then exported in unity. Now I know this approach is not correct, and I should make in unity game engine instead of created complete architecture in 3DS MAX but what can I say I have less experience in unity and productivity was damaging when I tried to import each model in unity then set in to it respected place. Now that the model is completed in 3DS MAX I am having an issue as the model is quite heavy. Can anyone suggest me what to do? Below is the video link of the model.

https://imgur.com/a/jbuRo7M

Advertisement

Haziq said:

Now I know this approach is not correct, and I should make in unity game engine instead of created complete architecture in 3DS MAX

You worked with what you're best at to be productive, and that's good. Don't feel bad about that.
There are ways you could easily apply this approach and get a smooth framerate.

It needs to be split up.

I'm not very experienced with unity - you might be best off if you split it into chunks within 3DSMAX, and import those into unity individually. Unity would know how to cull them, and as such you'll get smoother performance the more you split the model into, up until a certain sweet spot, and then it'll degrade from there. Say for instance you split it into 20x30 square chunks to hit the sweet spot, while 2x3 won't yield much of a benefit and 200x300 would be too much overhead)

I can't work out what aspect your lot is, and the chunks don't have to be square either - it's up to you where to make the cut.

As a programmer, I'd like to empowert my artist to be able to produce a model of any size and detail, so I'd make the splitting programatically whenever the program is started, or if it's time-consuming, once every time a model is updated.

Thanks for the response. The model each part is in pieces, so I don't have to made in small chunks fortunately for me. There like 100 of models individual. Now I need to ask do I need to save 100 of separate FBX copy of those models in order to import those model in Unity?

Haziq said:

Thanks for the response. The model each part is in pieces, so I don't have to made in small chunks fortunately for me. There like 100 of models individual. Now I need to ask do I need to save 100 of separate FBX copy of those models in order to import those model in Unity?

Not being familiar with Unity, my answer is that “I don't know”. Sorry. Perhaps someone with Unity knowledge can chip in: likely, it can be automated.

Being a programmer, I'd just load them up programmatically. Can you save from 3DS programmatically, and keep a little map associating the individual FBX files with their world offsets?

I see. Thanks for the assistance. I believe any level designer might assist here likely.

Can you save from 3DS programmatically, and keep a little map associating the individual FBX files with their world offsets?

Don't know about this one Sorry.

Don't know either, but likely MaxScript can be used to split and generate files. Chances are such scripts are freely available and even easy to find in related Art or Autodesk forums. Same happened to me with using Modo.

Sorry for the delay I was busy in some other work still busy in other work. Lol. Anyway I have found the script to export individual file as FBX. I still have not tried it but based on the description and suggestions this might just work. Below is the link of the script:
http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scripts/batch-exportimport

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement