First game---looking for suggestions

Started by
1 comment, last by modeler8 4 years, 4 months ago

Hi. First of all, a brief comment to let everyone know why I'm here asking a question about what may seem an impossible goal. I am a two-time cancer survivor, forcibly retired by my first cancer in 2006 and dumped into Social So-Called Security Disability. What this means is that with today's prices, my monthly budgets are often not enough to last the month. I need to make some extra money.

I already make and sell bolo ties online, but it's not reliable enough. I've always believed that gamedev was an option, and right now, that's what I want to add. I'm not looking to "Get Rich Quick" ... just to make some extra cash on the side (even $5--$10 per day would be awesome, but honestly, some months, a few dollars can make the difference between one meal per day for the last half of the month---if I can get that far, vs two or three). So please keep this in mind.

Ok, so I'm starting out on GDevelop 5, probably making an isometric type game. I was thinking about a platformer in an isometric setting (terminology?), but when it comes to designing levels, the ones I see in examples leave me feeling [chemobrain from cancer #1 won't let me access the word I want here---basically, like I'd never be able to do a good platformer game]. I have the ideas for it, just not the level/platform design (Idea: based on my young 16 month old Maine Coon, Jinx, allied birds and enemy birds, fish as a health boost, coins and keys, etc., and something special with the real Jinx between levels :-) ... basically a very short animation I made with frames from a video I shot of Jinx standing up and patting my hand, i.e., gimme 5. Actually, I'd probably use that in any game I do. But again, doing the platforms and making them actually look nice and be hard enough and progressively more difficult, but not impossible, is where I feel totally inadequate [snuck that in before chemobrain could stop me].

I need a game that's easy to put together and gives me the best chance of earning at least a little bit of money on either a daily or weekly basis. And everything from start to finish has to be free. Again, for now, I'll be working with GD5, but am trying to learn Godot3, which, from the tutorials I've seen, its coding is FAR more complicated than that for GD5.

Suggestions? Comments?

Thanks

Advertisement

I suggest to begin with a classic platform game and theres plenty of tutorials even in godot.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement