Prototype to showcase writing skills

Started by
7 comments, last by Tom Sloper 5 years, 1 month ago

I am currently in school for Game Development and for an assignment I have to make a prototype that showcases my writing skills. I am developing a choice based Twine game as my prototype but I have a few questions. The basic premise is focusing on the emotional consequences and traumas of fighting in a mech during war time.

How long should the prototype be in order to showcase my writing skills?

Should I include any limited art? I am not good at developing 2D art assets and I'm worried that adding some might detract from writing. 

Chell

They/Them 

Advertisement
1 hour ago, chell said:

How long should the prototype be in order to showcase my writing skills?

Ask your professor.

1 hour ago, chell said:

Should I include any limited art? I am not good at developing 2D art assets and I'm worried

Ask your professor.

Good luck!

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Thanks Tom!

I mentioned I was in school for background and we are supposed to look on forums for advice for this assignment.

So if I wasn't in school what would you suggest for a prototype for a portfolio to highlight writing skills?

Would you include art or stick with a text based game?

Chell

They/Them 

Just now, chell said:

we are supposed to look on forums for advice for this assignment.

Oh. Silly me.

Never mind then!

1 hour ago, chell said:

How long should the prototype be

Not too short, and not too long. Length is both time and word count. Are you worried about how long it should take to play your prototype? Or are you worried about how many words to write?

1 hour ago, chell said:

Should I include any limited art? I am not good at developing 2D art assets

I sincerely doubt that you would be marked down for art quality. I doubt you would be marked down for having art in your prototype. I coubt you would be marked down for not having art in your prototype. 

Whether or not you need art is likely better answered by a proofreader.

Is currently working on a rpg/roguelike
Dungeons Under Gannar
Devblog

Thanks!

Chell

They/Them 

On 3/18/2019 at 2:55 PM, Tom Sloper said:

Not too short, and not too long. Length is both time and word count. Are you worried about how long it should take to play your prototype? Or are you worried about how many words to write?

I'm more worried about scenes then words. I want to showcase different elements of the game but not make it so long that showcasing it feels like its more time than it should for a pitch prototype.

Chell

They/Them 

Sounds to me like a Design challenge - designers always have to consider the UX, the user experience. In this case, your users are "job interviewers." Specifically, game designers and narrative designers. For those who are looking at your online portfolio, you can go lengthy. For those who might ask to see something during an interview, keep it short and very very sweet.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement