Heres a question

Started by
4 comments, last by Geonamic 5 years, 5 months ago

when writing for games, what is the biggest problem you have with the story of the game and the coding? Like weather. has there been a problem when the weather is suppose to change the outcome of the story or character?

I'm writing a story and there is so many ideas I have that I want to make sure is logical. Not realistic, because my game doesnt really deal with earth.

where to start. You ever feel like you have all the tools to build something, you just don't have the instructions pad with you? That's where I'm at. I'm stuck between all this knowledge I have to build a game. The story, plot weapons armor activities of what you can do in the game. But the only part I'm missing the tech part. Honestly I want to learn to a certain point but I don't want to spend my life learning code. I just want to make games. So I'm hear to learn

Advertisement

I think it's important to remember, not all of the games story needs to be told in code.  Animated sequences, cinematic effects, there are lots of tricks that can come into play to tell a story.

There are some things nobody can code, but most of those can be easily drawn or animated or etc..

Don't worry about code when you are writing a story.

Write the story, then figure out how to tell it with all the tools that fit it, or make new tools. 

Yes, you still might have to change some story elements to fit the reality of the tools you use, but that's no reason to write entirely within those boundaries.

Just my 2c.

Happy Writing!

Thank You. I'm still writing the story and trying to figure out movesets, If I make my own controller. Im doing too much at once lol

where to start. You ever feel like you have all the tools to build something, you just don't have the instructions pad with you? That's where I'm at. I'm stuck between all this knowledge I have to build a game. The story, plot weapons armor activities of what you can do in the game. But the only part I'm missing the tech part. Honestly I want to learn to a certain point but I don't want to spend my life learning code. I just want to make games. So I'm hear to learn

Yeah, I kinda agree with @Septopus. When I started out I used to think a lot about how to implement these features into the game world, and a lot of these times I just got carried away without focusing on my core task: which is writing the game.

There still isn't a standard template when it comes to tackling this task and thats why most of the game writers starting out get carried away with these details. Just have a rough idea of how you would want to implement these features because a lot of times that final call isn't really upto the writer (its cool though if its your personal project, but still be prepared not to loose yourself in the task).

When it comes to writing and coding, my main worry is that there's ludonarrative dissonance, a conflict between a video game's narrative told through the story and the narrative told through the gameplay. If NPCs need water badly because they're not strong enough to defend themselves against level 1 monsters on their way to an oasis but it's actually not that hard for the level 1 player to do it, that's ludonarrative dissonance. Then, you'd have to decide whether or not you'd change the writing or the coding and also make sure that doesn't conflict with anything else, too.

"If I had the power of a god, I'd prevent others from obtaining that same power and throw mine away, even if I had to kill myself, because no matter how good the intentions may be, using omnipotence will have trade-offs for the good and bad but on an infinite scale beyond human imagination."

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement