Accuracy mechanic in an MMO game

Started by
9 comments, last by Yunus Emre 6 years, 3 months ago

I am a beginner in the Game Dev business, however I plan to build a futuristic MMO with some interesting mechanics.

However, I have some doubts about shooting mechanics that I chose for this game and would like to know your opinion on this. The mechanic goes as follows:

- Each gun would have it's damage-per-shot value
- Each gun would have it's shots-per-second value
- Each gun would have it's accuracy rating

Now the question is: how to calculate the output damage? I have three available options:

1) Calculate the chance of each shot hitting the target (per-shot accuracy)

2) Multiply the damage output of a weapon by it's accuracy rating (weapon with 50% accuracy deals 50% of it's base damage)

3) Don't use accuracy at all and just adjust the weapon damage output

Which of these three mechanics would you like to see in a game? Mind, this will be an MMO game, so it will have lock-on targets, AoE effects and all that jazz.

Advertisement

I like the sounds of #1.  May require more computing but it would make for a varied scenarios especially if the health of enemies and other players is low.  #2 sounds a lot like the kind of math you'd see in old browser games, but I'm not familiar with how other games go about calculating accuracy.  

#2 and #3 are effectively the same, differing only in what numbers are shown to the player -- unless you're also implementing some way to dynamically change a weapon's accuracy.

So yeah, I'd agree that #1 is more interesting.

2 hours ago, shelvick said:

#2 and #3 are effectively the same, differing only in what numbers are shown to the player -- unless you're also implementing some way to dynamically change a weapon's accuracy.

So yeah, I'd agree that #1 is more interesting.

Well, I plan for characters to have proficiencies, so the accuracy would change, as well as some buffs/nerfs that change the accuracy of the character.

But still, my first option is #1, however I'm just worried that it might be disliked by players.

Who is your audience? If you're targeting the more hardcore FPS players, then yeah, you'll likely hear a lot of complaints about "luck". If you're aiming for a somewhat different audience that isn't as concerned about the gunplay aspect, then I think they'll be more likely to appreciate it. Single data point: From a player's perspective, I, personally, would still go with #1. ;)

I'm trying to make a MMO RPG game, so that's a completely different crowd. A SWTOR/WoW/GW type MMO at that. So that's why I want to implement accuracy ratings, so that your loadout actually makes a difference.

4) Make accuracy a critical hit chance for +100% damage, it makes more sense to the player,

it also prevents freak randomness where the player misses eight times in a row and dies to enemy fire.

7 hours ago, MeeMaster said:

But still, my first option is #1, however I'm just worried that it might be disliked by players.

You might not find this idea helpful, but I remember when I designed a couple counter strike maps back in the day I literally dissected the elements of what made a good counter-strike map, my conclusion was collision points where the two teams meet if running full tilt.  If that area of the map is conducive to good gun play then you've got a winner.  So I just focused on those two or three areas and slowly expanded out from there incorporating them all into one map.  The map was tons of fun to play.  If I was in your shoes what I would do is to take a similar strategy, rather than pick one option on arbitrary assumptions about what people may or may not like I would design gun play scenarios with your game and have players test out the various code and see which they like.  You might find that the answer to a good experience for the players is a modified version of #1 using hit boxes or something.  

Not sure *how* new you are to game development so I'll preface with https://www.gamedev.net/blogs/entry/2250155-why-you-shouldnt-be-making-an-mmo/ just so you know what you're getting into.

Having said that I recommend using the gamefeel approach which is forget about it needing game mechanics for a moment and imagine your player having an optimal experience. Does it take 1 hit to kill an imp, 2-3 to take down each enemy guard? Then using that weapon does 100% damage to an imp and 33%/50% damage to a guard. On the other hand the Imp might be a fast little scamp and dodges you 3/4 of the time.

I'd also suggest removing the idea of "Accuracy" for "Skill" and/or "Speed". You wern't so incompetant that you just missed someone standing in front of you, if you "missed" it's because the enemy was too fast/skillful and either blocked or dodged/deflected your attack in which case you use the term "dodged", never "missed".  It may sound like a nitpick but it's important psychologically. "Missing" is frustrating, people hate it. Being blocked or dodged feels completely different even though numerically its exactly the same thing. Skill can communicate "accuracy" but more like being able to stab your dagger between armorplating like a badass, not wether or not you'll even hit the enormous target in front of you like someone with a concussion playing pin the tail on the donkey.

I think what I'm getting at is the player should have a skill rating but weapons should be 100% accurate. Even monkey island had more realistic feeling swordfighting than many mmos, not even including the insults. The combat was all parrying and disarming them when you won like in the old movies, not taking turns swiping your weapon through the air and not even flinching or trying but failing to dodge as they're about to hit you.

Why do s

Its like S4 League

yuno44907@mail.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement